HV's - best left in the dark

Monday, September 25, 2006
I'm sure that anyone who has done their research on BLW would agree with me in that it seems to be a perfectly safe and sensible approach in introducing your own child to the wonderful world of solid foods. Then, why are the Health Visitors so against BLW? All I read is negative experiences of mothers who have accidentally let it slip to their health visitors that they have skipped the purees and moved straight into the more hands-on approach for the baby.

The more I think about it, the clearer it becomes in my head: Health Visitors are just being careful about the advice they give to the new mothers. There is no research or long-term practical knowledge available about BLW, so by expressing their doubts about the method they are really only covering their own back. Many mothers religiously believe every golden drops of wisdom that passes their Health Visitors' lips, so the HV's can't afford any mistakes. They're best off sticking to what they know, at least with puree-feeding they have something to refer back to.

Health Visitors' advice is often vague and based on what they think, not what they know. Even what they know mightn't be up to scratch - who knows? There is so much conflicting information about weaning available in books, on the Internet and in conventional media. We have decided to just do my homework on babies' nutrition needs and provide him everything he needs, in the way I see fit. 3 months down the BLW road, I know my son's chewing abilities well enough to know in what form I can give foodstuffs to him to be confident in myself.

For example, last week I saw someone mentioned in their post in the Yahoo B-LW forum, that a health visitor had stated that babies should be fed purees "at least 2 weeks" before introducing finger food. I have ever since put my (advanced, if I may say so) googling skills to test, while I've been searching for any sort of basis or justification for this comment. Needless to say, it's all been in vain - the time-frame certainly has a slight made-up twang do it.

The question of Health Visitors disapproving BLW became a personal matter to me when I made the mistake of informing our HV of my baby's diet. As a result, she organised 4 counselling-type home visits with me and gave me quite strict orders to reduce breastfeeding(!) and start spooning the solids into my son. For a few weeks I did as she told me, but as soon as the haze lifted we went back to finger foods. I realised I actually didn't have to do as she told me, but as we felt was best for Lukas.

I know now that for us, the best way to do BLW is to do it without the Health Visitor knowing about it. However, this is not something I openly recommend to anyone, it's our own decision and I realise the responsibility it carries. I still go to the monthly weighing, but unless something alarming comes up, I will just have to alter the truth a little bit if she asks how Lukas is eating. I can list what he eats, but I just won't mention that it's not me who's scooping it all in.

When I first started learning and doing BLW, I had these big dreams that if I educated myself enough, had a first-hand experience and wanted to spread the word, maybe I could offer my HV to come and give a little introduction speech about BLW in their weaning discussion groups. I have since become disillusioned - I don't think it's the time for that in another few years, but maybe one day. I won't be here then, but wherever I am, I would like to help.